The Chilean Ministry of Education in partnership with the United Nations Development Program-Chile sponsors a 10-week summer volunteer English teaching program. College students, graduate students, and teaching professionals are encouraged to apply.
Under the guidance of the Ministry of Education and Chilean EFL teachers, volunteer teachers work 25 hours a week leading classes that focus on developing listening and speaking skills. Volunteers dedicate 10 additional hours a week to planning lessons and initiating extracurricular activities in a variety of possible areas such as sports, arts, culture or English. In mid-July during the schools’ two-week semester break, volunteers organize and implement additional activities in the community for students or teachers depending on their own expertise.
The Ministry of Education and UNDP-Chile offer:
· Accommodations with a host family which includes three meals a day
· Monthly stipend of USD$150
· Orientation to familiarize themselves with Chile and the Chilean education system
· Round-trip transportation from Santiago to the volunteer placement site
· Certificate of program completion
To participate in the program, volunteers must:
· Be native English speakers or highly fluent in English
· Be a graduate student, recent graduate or professional
· Have at least a basic understanding of Spanish
· Pay for roundtrip airfare to Santiago
· Have comprehensive health insurance
· Be highly committed, responsible and flexible
**There is absolutely no program or placement fee to volunteer in our program
SUMMER 2008 VOLUNTEER PROGRAM TIME TABLE*
Start Date – Session One May 24th
Start Date – Session Two June 14th
End Date – Session One August 5th
End Date – Session Two August 26th
* Volunteers may choose to stay longer in agreement with school personnel
** Qualified applicants that require different start dates may be considered.
If you would like to apply for this program please send a copy of your resume to Clayton Harrington: firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be sent a link to our online application.