Located next to the beautiful Sarapiquí River, the SCLC depends on it long-term volunteers to run its day-to-day programs. The volunteers must be highly skilled, willing to work full-time, and responsible for coordinating their program. Volunteers mostly work independently on their programs but also receive support from the administration and other volunteers. Because they primarily work with the local community, all volunteers should have an intermediate level of Spanish. All volunteers with a minimum commitment of six months will be provided with free room and board with a local homestay family, plus a bicycle and Internet access.
Through a partnership between UNA Universidad National de Costa Rica and SCLC, Costa Ricans in the rural communities surrounding Chilamate and Puerto Viejo will have the opportunity to learn English in a comfortable learning environment but with well developed materials and curriculum. The EFL program is strongly connected to community development because the good jobs in this area require the knowledge of English.
• Teach up to 3 levels of English night classes to adults and young adults. (Each level meets twice a week for 1.5 hours)
• Teach one morning EFL class to students in a local elementary school (one day per week)
• Assist Scholarship Program coordinator With monthly program tasks as needed
• Write monthly article for one of the following: newsletter, website, blog or facebook
• Potentially assist After-School Program coordinator with incorporating English into lesson plans
• Develop additional English classes as interest or time permits. The community and the Center are both in great need of an EFL program for children.
• Minimum advanced beginner/intermediate level of Spanish
• Fluency in English
• TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certification
• Experience teaching EFL/ESL
• Experience creating lesson plans
• Experience teaching adults and children
• Experience with classroom management
• Willing to work evenings 5:00 – 8:30 pm
If interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Many thanks Dave!
T: 506 2761 2082 F: 506 2761 2212
C: 506 8800 9048 SKYPE: yazmini88